Historic Preservation Manager
Part-time Historic Preservation Manager
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA-MA) promotes appreciation for the people, places, and events that led to the formation and development of our country. With 44 Corporate Societies and 15,000 members, its mission involves historic preservation, restoration, and interpretation of historic sites. The Massachusetts Society, headquartered in Boston, has a membership of 450 women and manages three historic properties and their related collections.
The National Society of Colonial Dames in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (NSCDA-MA) is seeking a part-time Historic Preservation Manager with an appreciation for history, preservation, and care and management of historic properties. The position reports to the NSCDA-MA President and Executive Committee. NSCDA-MA projects range from maintenance and restoration of the interior and exterior of historic buildings to coordination of ongoing research into the individuals who owned, built, and lived in our properties; from inventory, cataloguing, and conservation of our fine and decorative arts, archives, and Costume Collection to data entry into Pastperfect CMS. Responsibilities include working cooperatively with Society members and two paid administrative staff, and overseeing three historic properties with collections of furniture, decorative arts, and a 7,000+ item Costume Collection. Strong managerial skills are required to work collaboratively with Society members, external volunteers, and community organizations interested in historic properties and activities.
This is a new position that will evolve and represents significant growth for the organization. A candidate’s flexibility with change is critical. A successful candidate will have an appreciation for the aspects that fulfill the Society’s mission and be sympathetic to community historical identity as well as historical and curatorial elements specific to small museums and historic properties.
Please visit: www.nscdama.org for more information
Costume Collection and Historic Properties
Work closely with the Costume Collection and three properties and their collections owned in part or wholly by the NSCDA-MA.
• With the NSCDA-MA house museum chairs, members, and volunteers, work to determine immediate and long-term needs.
• With committee members, oversee capital projects and grant implementation for each
property and collection.
• Provide curatorial and preservation guidance, collaborating with committee members to establish best practices.
• Attend external meetings as required with various officials, boards, commissions, and
community members on behalf of the museum properties.
• In conjunction with the NSCDA-MA Development Committee, collaborate on fundraising in support of the Society’s mission.
• In conjunction with the Development Committee, seek and research grant sources, and
develop grant proposals to support the organization’s goals.
• Supervise paid staff: House manager at Prescott House.
• Supervise staff at the NSCDA-MA properties in conjunction with house chairs.
• Manage rental agreements for two properties.
• Possess leadership, management, and professional skills in museum management or related field.
• Experience with capital improvement and deferred maintenance plans for historic properties and related collections.
• Experience with grant writing.
• Ability to work cooperatively, interface with community volunteers, and with other historic preservation organizations.
• Knowledge of effective personnel management.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BA in Historic Preservation or related field.
• Five plus years of museum, historic preservation, or related field experience.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and related programs.
• Driver’s license and personal car.
Work is performed in a museum environment. The part-time position is 20 hours per week. Ability to work flexibly outside a standard 9-5 schedule. Travel is primarily within eastern Massachusetts. Additional occasional travel may be required to attend off-site training and/or educational opportunities.
ANNUAL SALARY: $40,000
START DATE: January/February 2022
Submit inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com